Monday, September 26, 2011

Nagel Boy

Simply called Man #1 back in 1990 when it was painted, I thought I would update the title for the blog.  This was called Man #1 because it was my very first stab at emulating Patrick Nagel's style and applying it to my vision.  As you can see from the checkerboard background, I was influenced as well by the Memphis design movement.  The reference or inspiration for the man was from a black and white newspaper advertisement, most likely the Sunday New York Times Magazine.  I like the design of the leather jacket's lining, pseudo Memphis design-y.     

Memphis design originated in Italy in the early 1980's and held on tight for most of that decade.  The bold geometric shapes and bright primary colors that were the foundation for this design movement could be seen everywhere from music videos to home furnishings and decor items.

"Nagel Boy" is painted on illustration board using a combination of gouache and India ink.  This painting measures approximately 20" x 22". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and respect others feelings when making a comment, thank you.