Friday, September 23, 2011

Gay Pride T-Shirts

In 1992 I designed and sold T-shirts celebrating gay pride.  These 4 designs were screen printed on shirts and sold in stores from Boston to Washington, D.C.  To think that my designs would be purchased by gay men and women was an incredible thrill for me.  In addition to the shirts being sold in gay bookstores, that year I purchased a booth at New York City's Gay Pride parade and sold my T-shirts as one of the parade vendors.  That was a very cool experience.  

A few years later, I was at the NYC Gay Pride parade and noticed a woman was wearing one of my T-shirts with the designs I call "Rings" (that would be the turquoise and lavender design in the lower left corner in the above photograph).  As I approached her, I noticed the shirt was both stained and faded.  I asked her where she had gotten that shirt.  Before she could answer, her partner responded with, "Oh my God, this is her favorite shirt, she never takes it off!"  I smiled.  But she responded with a story about how she had bought the shirt a few years back at the parade from a guy who had a booth and was selling them.  I told her I was that guy, and she demanded I sign the shirt.  She whipped out a Sharpie and I signed the shirt...right on her chest.  
What an incredible thrill!  Seriously! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and respect others feelings when making a comment, thank you.