Wednesday, October 12, 2011

International Male

Simply titled “Man #2” back in 1991 for the United States Copyright Office’s Visual Arts Form, I decided to call this painting “International Male” for the blog.  Since the inspiration for this artwork came directly from the pages of the International Male clothing catalog, it seemed fitting to somehow acknowledge the original reference.   
With many of my creations in these first posts, there are aspects of the paintings that I like and aspects that I don’t like.  When coming to terms with a creative style, there is always a period of time when the artist must “work out the bugs”.  It’s an experimental time.  It’s a time for trial and error.  In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, my main concentration was to solidify my creative style.  Being raised watching cartoons from the 1960’s & 1970’s and aspiring to be a comic book illustrator, I was heavily influenced by flat color that was defined by solid black line work.  Coloring books, animation, comic books, they all had one thing in common: the flat graphic color was defined by the black line work that surrounded it.    
With the exception of “Princess” I have relied on published photos for my inspiration.  “Princess” was inspired by a co-worker at the time that was both statuesque and beautiful.  I simply had to paint her.  “Tex”, “Nagel Boy” and “International Male” were all inspired by published photos of some kind.  But I was quickly getting to the point where I wanted to own the inspiration as well.  I wanted to be able to select and mold my inspiration and not be limited to what was already out there. 
The definition for the word muse is a source of one’s inspiration.  In Greek Mythology, the Muses were the goddesses who inspired the creation of literature and the arts.  I needed a muse.  I needed someone who was so idyllic, his beauty would inspire me to produce greater work.  I needed a model.          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and respect others feelings when making a comment, thank you.