Sunday, March 11, 2012

Gay Pride

“Gay Pride” is another hybrid creation that was started back in the mid 1990’s.  Like all the other works I created then, “Gay Pride” was painted using fine Sable hair brushes and India ink.  I did complete this piece in full color using gouache, but in order to update the work for the blog, I re-colored it using Photoshop.  I stayed true to the original gouache coloring, but using all the Photoshop bells and whistles is certainly a lot more fun than using paints and brushes.  Sorry traditionalists, I still love to sketch and draw using pencil and paper, but applying flat color to my graphic works is easier, faster and more fun using digital means.

While my model did not pose nude for me, that didn’t mean I couldn’t make him naked in my mind.  I did ask him to poses in certain ways knowing I was going to make it a nude illustration.  He was aware of my intentions, he just didn’t want naked pics of him floating around.  And I don’t blame him.  I wouldn’t want naked photos of me out there…even if I looked as good as him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and respect others feelings when making a comment, thank you.